6800 S Torrey Pines Dr
Las Vegas, NV 89118
Before You Hit Send
A Self-Editing and Writing Course
Join Angela James, editorial director of Harlequin’s Carina Press and developmental editor of New York Times Bestselling authors Shannon Stacey, Alexa Riley, Lauren Dane and Jaci Burton, for a day-long workshop covering ideas, tips, tricks and lessons for polishing and self-editing your manuscript. Based on Angela’s popular four-week online course, this one-day workshop will be packed full of tips, tricks and insight into the editing process.
Develop a checklist of techniques and processes for enhancing self-editing skills and polishing future manuscripts. Learn how to make the new knowledge a habit when writing future books. Learn the basics and the advanced techniques of:
- Dialogue and dialogue tags
- Whether all forms of “to be” are really evil (the answer is no)
- What is overwriting? How can you avoid it?
- Basic and advanced punctuation
- Passive voice vs active voice
- Point of view
- Pacing, including and editing trick to help you “fix” pacing
- What we mean by show not tell. And how to do that!
- Different types of editing and stages of editing
- What to look for in an editorial relationship
- What to look for and questions to ask when hiring a freelance editor
- Formalizing and finalizing your manuscript before you hit send (or press publish)
Who should attend:
- Aspiring authors
- Authors interested in polishing their craft
- Self-publishing authors
- Multi-published authors–you may be surprised by what there still is to learn!
- Freelance editors and copy editors looking to enhance their curriculum vitae.
- Anyone interested in learning to edit and copy edit.
Angela usually charges much more this workshop, so sign up now for this bargain! The cost is $50 for LVRW members and $65 for nonmembers. This includes a light breakfast, lunch, and snacks throughout the day. Sign up now and don’t miss out!
Angela James, Editorial Director
Angela James, editorial director of Carina Press, an adult genre fiction imprint of Harlequin, is both an avid reader of digital books and a veteran of and advocate for the digital publishing industry. She has enjoyed nearly fifteen years of experience in her field, including successfully launching, building and serving as editorial lead for two digital-first presses: Samhain Publishing and, since 2009, Harlequin’s Carina Press.
She has edited bestselling authors such as Alexa Riley, Shannon Stacey, Jaci Burton, Lauren Dane, Ilona Andrews, Lilith Saintcrow, Shelly Laurenston and more. She was profiled in Fast Company magazine as a digital pioneer in the romance publishing industry, has been named New York Romance Writers of America’s 2013 Golden Apple Editor of the Year, and is the creator of Before You Hit Send, the popular online self-editing and writing workshop for authors.
You can find Angela on Twitter at @angelajames.