Welcome to the I Heart Indie Contest!
The IHI Contest for 2016 is currently closed to new entries. Please come back in March, 2017, for more information on next year’s contest. We’ve left the rules for 2016 below, so you can get an idea of what to expect in 2017.
In the world of electronic publishing, a book’s cover and the back cover copy are often what make—or break—a sale. Wouldn’t it be nice to know how effectively these elements are selling your book? We devised this contest to pair up indie books with (to the extent possible) genre-specific book clubs to determine what readers prefer and to give your book more exposure to possible readers. Additionally, even indie authors might consider using an agent to help them negotiate foreign sales, film rights, and a host of other things that are beyond the original publication of their work. We have arranged for several of these agents to judge the final round of the contest.
You may enter your submission in only one category. You are limited to three entries per category. Each category is limited to 50 entries. The contest categories are as follows:
- Contemporary Romance:Novels that take place now or within the last 30 years.
- Historical:Novels set in any historical time period, with the exception of those set in the western United States.
- Erotic Romance:Novels in which strong, often explicit, sexual interaction is an inherent part of the story, character growth and relationship development and could not be removed without damaging the storyline.
- Inspirational:Novels in which religious or spiritual beliefs (in the context of any religion or spiritual belief system) are a major part of the romantic relationship.
- Paranormal:Novels in which paranormal elements are an integral part of the plot.
- Suspense:Novels in which suspense, mystery, or thriller elements constitute an integral part of the plot.
- Young Adult:Novels that focus on the romantic relationship between teenagers.
- New Adult:Novels that focus on the romantic relationship between adults between the ages of 18 and 25.
- Novella:A work of fiction between 18,000 to 40,000 words.
- Western: Novels, either contemporary or historical set in the western United States.
- Sci-Fi/Fantasy: Novels in which the future, space or fantasy elements play an integral part of the plot.
All novels or novellas must have been published by April 30, 2016.
- April 1, 2016:The I Heart Indie contest opens for submissions.
- June 1, 2016:The I Heart Indie contest closes for submissions. All submissions must be received no later than 5 p.m., Pacific Standard Time, on this date.
- August 1, 2016:Finalists will be notified via telephone call. All others will be notified via email.
- October 15, 2016:Winners will be announced at the Vegas Valley Book Festival. All finalists are invited to attend. Winners will also be announced on the LVRWA.org website, Twitter, and Facebook using #IHeartIndie.
All the entries in a category will be judged by at least one book club and every effort will be made to use book club(s) that are genre-specific. The top five entries in each category will then be judged by literary agents experienced in working with indie authors. The agents will rank the entries and the top entry will be the winner of the category. The members of the LVRW will judge and determine the “Best of the Best” winner. All decisions of the judges and the LVRW are final and without recourse.
First Round Judges:
Check back soon! We have lots planned and we’ll announce all the details as soon as everything is finalized.
Final Round Judges:
Check back soon! Again, there’s lot’s going on and we’ll be announcing the final judges soon.
Finalists and winners will be notified via email and/or telephone.
The winner of each category will be announced in the RWR and possibly in other similar types of publications, online media, and/or public events. The winners will receive additional exposure by having their covers and back cover copy permanently published on the LVRW’s website as either current or former winners of the I Heart Indie Contest. By entering the contest, you agree to allow the publication of your cover and back cover copy on the LVRW’s website in perpetuity. Finally, finalists and winners will be provided with an electronic badge that can be placed on book covers, websites, or anywhere the winner deems appropriate, that announces the first place win in the I Heart Indie Contest.
If you have any questions, please contact us via email at: contest [at] lvrwa.org or reach us on our contact page.
How to Enter
An entry consists of a completed entry form, the text of the back cover copy, an upload of the book’s cover (in JPG, JPEG, or PNG format), and the entrance fee of $15.00 USD. Only electronic entries are permitted. If any of the essential parts are missing at the close of submission, the entry will be disqualified. A confirming email will be sent to you at the email address provided once we have received all necessary parts. Payment may be made via PayPal or by sending a certified check or a money order (no personal checks allowed).